Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Recipe: Beer Bread

Beer Bread... so easy and so delicious!

After my previous post on the book, Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day, I couldn't resist adding one of my favorite quick bread recipes.  Beer Bread is a thick, hearty bread that is great on its own, but it can also have so many variations and improvisations.  No, it doesn't taste like beer!  However, it will have the essential character of the beer, so a dark beer will give more rich flavor than a light beer.

The beer's carbonation, along with the baking powder, is what gives the bread volume and "rise".  It is not the yeast in the beer (if any are left).  Making this bread with homebrewed beer is especially rewarding.


Here is the basic recipe for Beer Bread:

3 cups All-Purpose Flour (or Self Rising Flour)
3 Tablespoons White Sugar 
3 teaspoons Baking Powder (omit if using Self Rising Flour)
1 teaspoon salt (omit if using Self Rising Flour)
1 bottle (12 ounce) Beer

- Preheat oven to 350-375 F (175-190 C)
- Sift the flour.
- Add sugar, baking powder, and salt to flour.  Mix lightly.
- Pour in beer.
- Mix batter with wooden spoon until all dry ingredients are mixed in.  Don't over mix.  Batter will be very sticky.
- Pour into greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Allow to rest for only a few minutes before cutting and serving.
- I have no idea if this bread lasts more than a few days, because it is always gone by then.

A few tips:

  • Always sift the flour - I will often sift 2-3 times.  Omit this step and your bread will be a brick!
  • Use a good quality beer.  I think the richer and more complex and dark the beer, the more flavorful the bread.  One of my favorites is Blue Moon... but I also really enjoy my own dark ale.
  • You can add any spices you would like; it just depends on what you are going to eat with it.  For example, add some rosemary and thyme to make a good bread with a roast.  Add some basil and garlic powder with an Italian meal.  Add some sugar and cinnamon for a dessert style bread. 
  • Sprinkle some cheese on the top, or mix it with the batter.
  • One of my favorite ways to eat this is fresh and hot, smothered with butter and fruit preserves or honey... amazing!

8 comments:

  1. A beer bread? I heard lots of recipes with beer and mostly of it are steaks and meat. This is definitely new for me and it looks delicious. I think I knew what to serve for dinner. >> Corey Glenn @ ColonialSpiritsDelivers.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The overall look of your web site is magnificent, let alone the content Feel free to visit my website;

    ReplyDelete

  5. Thanks for a marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. splendid information in your blog, thanks for taking the time to proportion with us.

    ReplyDelete

  7. Really appreciate this wonderful post that you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to read more things about here! thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete